Saturday, May 05, 2007

Spiritual Warfare

Many times over I have heard people talk about how we are are not very aware of the Spiritual world here in America. Throughout the world, there is a cognisance of evil as well as the battles in the heavenlies; however there is an almost total disconnect here in the States. Plus, the Bible tells us that, "My people perish for a lack of knowledge."
With that in mind, I certainly do not want to be caught unaware. I have tried to be aware through prayer, and in reading about it. To be honest, I have read a lot about it through the years, especially when I was a teenager. After some break from the subject matter, I have picked up a new book (to me) written by Lester Sumrall called "Demons: The Answer Book." I have not completed the book yet, but have enjoyed it thus far. It has helped me to understand a bit more of how the enemy works in the world, and even in people, at worst.
One thing that I wanted to comment on is in regard to the devil though. He, being the beginning of all the evil and trouble that we have come to know today, is the root of where any and all evil comes from. I am not saying that we can use the old excuse that "the devil made me do it," but I am saying that we find we battle in the flesh with the same trash that lucifer spewed out at the beginning of time.
I have always known that the devil's pride was a major downfall. He wanted to be God, and to be praised like God was. So, the reason of pride always made sense and I never went further than that. Then, in this book, I came to understand that he also was full of greed. Not for money like we would think of in this nation, but greed for what God had. Maybe I am slow, but this seemed to make sense to me all of the sudden. In addition to that, I came to also understand just how elusive greed is in our lives. When you get right down to it, any sin can lead one astray just as these two things did with lucifer when left unchecked. Thus, the reason why we have to guard our hearts...
What I am trying to say is be aware of the battle that we are all in. Ephesians 6:12 tells us, "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places." The Lord has let us know of this Spiritual battle. So don't be ignorant of it, be aware of it and engage in the battle friends. Because whether you are aware or not, or are engage in it or not - know that you are in it!
As one TV ad says, "Get in the Game!"

No comments: