Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Puns are Phunny!

I get a kick out of some puns. I really like the show Frazier, and he takes every opportunity that he can to play with words, and use puns. I know, it is dry humor, but humor nonetheless; and I really enjoy them sometimes... I say that with the risk of being considered really cheesy myself becuase most consider puns to be the worst jokes ever. It is when someone says a pun, most respond by saying, "Oooo, that was a bad joke."

Try these ones on for size...
"Energizer Bunny arrested -- charged with battery."
"A pessimist's blood type is b-negative."
"Show me a piano falling down a mineshaft and I'll show you A-flat minor."
"A bicycle can't stand alone because it is two-tired."
"You feel stuck with your debt if you can't budge it."
If you have some good ones, please share them!

Well anyhow... With that in mind, I ran across this in my Bible reading time, Jeremiah 3:22, "Return, you backslidding children, and I will heal your backslidings." I know that God is not trying to be funny here, in fact this is a very serious moment. But, according to my study and some commentary, He is taking advantage of a pun.

The Hebrew root word that occurs here in this verse apply for both words, return & backsliding. These are both variations of the same word. So God is using it to His advantage, as if to say, "If you are into returning to something, RETURN to Me and not your sin!"

Beyond the pun, and the funny stuff, I have really seansed this to be a word from the Lord for us American Christians and non-Christians. It is time to return to the Lord!

Hosea 10 says the same thing in verse 12. "For it is time to seek the Lord, till he comes and rains righteousness on you." Church, I think that we would all agree that it is time to get ahold of God, and let God get ahold of us...as I say.

Let's return to the Lord, isn't it time? And that is no joke...

No comments: