Friday, January 12, 2007

Are you sleeping???

I usually give a mini-message on these blogs, but today, I just want to vent a bit. Please indulge me...

I have picked up this book, The Slumber of Christianity by Ted Dekker, and have begun to read it a bit. What caught my attention about it, was the title. I thought it might be going in a certain direction, however it was going in another. Still good. It brings to light the fact that Christians have kind of left our purpose and focus behind. We scurry around in life, and read books like the Purpose-Drive Life (of which I am not speaking against) to give our lives some sort of meaning. I know that it works, and has done that for many many thougsands of people. But, the premise of this book is that we have forgotten one speacial focus that every believer in Christ has. HEAVEN!

I remember preaching on Heaven one time, and told the people (basically) that even though life here on earth is kind of "stinky", we should not be dismayed, because this world is not our home, but it is just a pathway towards what will be our home forever...HEAVEN! One lady piped up and said, "Yeah, but shouldn't we have some kind of joy here, while we are on earth?" Man, I couldn't believe that I was interrupted for one, but secondly, I wondered, why should we expect it? I know that we can have joys here on earth and all. However, when we do, I believe that there can come a great temptation to all of us to love the world and the things in it. I John 2:15-17 Not that God can't give us any pleasure here, because He does...I just think that it is all about perspective at times. When we need to get our focus in focus.

In any event, it is time for us believers in the Lord to believe once again, isn't it? Christ really is coming back! Instead of becoming so consumed with what is on this side of Heaven, maybe we need to get re-focused on what really matters...like seeing Jesus one day, face-to-face. That is our goal after all...

No comments: