Saturday, January 13, 2007

I'm following you daddy!


Those were the chipper words I heard from my daughter, Abbey, this afternoon while walking into the house. "I'm following you daddy!"

A whole array of images came to mind when she said that... Not so much about the physical path we were on, but on the spiritual level I knew immediately that she is watching me there too. Which forced me to remember the responsibility I bear as a father, Christian, and Pastor too. I began to think: I better lead her in the right path. I better walk carefully. Do I know where I am going? Where I go, she will go. And, on and on...

I remembered how Paul the Apostle said, "follow me as I follow Christ!" What an awesome statement that was. Not just for the people he was speaking to, but in regard to his life. Because, when one says that, one must be certain that they know the ramifications of such a statement. It bears a great level of responsibility for that kind of example. When we claim to be such an example, we best BE that example too!

At some level we all bear that responsibility though. I know that a parent does, whether they like it or not. Maybe if parents realized this, the kids of today would be better. ??? But, on the Spiritual end of things, we who say we are Christ's, better act like we are. People are watching us, whether we like it or not. We could say, "don't judge me" or "I am just human"; but we have to remember that once we join in the Lord's Army, there is a level of responsibility that we bear, and we have to be ready for it. We are reflections of Christ to this world. It is like the saying goes, "We might be the only Bible some people read."

Well, these are just some simple words to jog all of our memories that we have people watching us everyday. We have children watching us, and following us. So, leave a path behind that is worth being on. We can't fall back on the saying from a bumper sticker that I once saw, "Don't follow me, I'm lost too!" That just won't work with God.

No comments: