Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Blame it on ... myself?

It seems that in the society we live in today, the idea of blame is very accepted. We even hear it in Church all the time, "It's his fault I am like this. It's my job... It's my wife..." It seems that it is everyone elses fault that things go bad in our lives but our own. Excuses and blame - they are as old as Methuselah. Adam blamed Eve for his eating the apple; Eve blamed the serpent; and we blame Adam and Eve for our problems.
Today, the criminology world will tell us that people are a product of their society too. The same thing. It isn't little Johnny's fault that he stole from someone, his mother was mean to him. How silly does that sound? Very. True is that we become who we choose to become. We are what we choose to be. I gave illustration of this on Sunday by siting my own life - raised in a non-Christian home, and yet I am a pastor today. Make sense? Not really, but yet it does to me. Because I made the choices to be what I am today, in conjunction with Christ's working in me. Understand?
I happened to read this in Proverbs today. Proverbs 19:3 - "People ruin their lives by their own foolishness and then are angry at the Lord." Isn't that the truth? We make bad choices in life and try to blame it on everyone else. What's more is that people believe this stuff, but not God! He makes us face our own music and take responsibility for our actions. The truth is that we will one day too.
So, instead of blaming the world for your problems - take responsibility for your troubles and face up to the need to make some changes in your life. Don't be angry at God anymore, but instead come to Him for help to bring about changes in your life for the better. He won't make you change, but you can do it with the resource of His power being available to you to do so. 1 Corinthians 4:20 (NLT) - For the Kingdom of God is not just fancy talk; it is living by God's power!

No comments: